Saturday 13 August 2016

Euro Tour: Wörth an der Donau to Passau// My last day in Germany and probably the sunburniest

Straubing
My last full day in Germany turned out to be one of my favourite days. I was alongside the Danube most of the day so it was really peaceful and calm. The river looked exceptionally beautiful today. 


Hey, do you want to hear something sexy? I've been wearing my hair in a side plait because it's really long (Wait. That's not the sexy bit). It gets really matted between my helmet  and my neck, like when babies rub the back of their heads into their beds. AND I'm getting a weird suntan mark on one shoulder from where my plait sits. I know, sexy right? I thought for one second, I should just shave my head to prevent all this nonsense. Then I remembered that my real life I don't wear a cycling helmet all day every day and I'm definitely not hot enough to pull off the Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta look. 


Being a Saturday (not that that matters to me right now), there were lots of cycling clubs out whizzing past me and my pannier laden bike.

Donaustrand Deggendorf


Starting by riding through Kirchroth and Offenberg with rows of wild flowers between the calm wide stretch of the river and me. coming to Deggendorf where they have made it into a sort of beach with families sitting in deck chairs under sunbrellas having picnics. 



It was really hot and no matter how many times I apply suntan lotion, i’m getting fried from being under the sun all day. It’s not like you can go and ride in the shade.

Vilshofen


Along the Danube trail in Vilshofen, is the Donauplanetenweg(the Danube Planet Trail) where you can see models of the solar system at a scale of 1:1 billion. 

My bike under the sun Donauplanetenweg

Passau is where three rivers join so it’s very lush and looks like a vintage postcard. 

Passau

Save some energy for the climb up to the hostel. It’s very steep and cobbled. I think you should win a speed boat or a suitcase full of money if you make it up to the top. I didn’t even try, I was sunburnt and starving.
Eating dinner, dangling over the castle's grounds


The DJH Jugendherbergen hostel is within the grounds of the Veste Obserhause castle so it’s very scenic and the view is amazing.




I’m kind of sad that this is my last night in Germany, it’s been such an adventure and everyone has been so nice. 


Thighs Matters Euro Tour stages:



1 comment:

  1. I have been loving this series, great photos and really making me want to do some cycling in Europe.

    ReplyDelete